Anyone who knows us has heard us talking about soy curls. And that’s because they came along and knocked our hand-knitted socks off and changed our little vegan, plant-based lives. They have the perfect consistency we’ve been missing in our cooking. They take on flavor great and are so convincing that most people wouldn’t know they weren’t meat if you didn’t tell them and seasoned it right.
We were afraid to jump into trying soy curls. For years. I do not know why because it turns out they are fabulous and not hard at all! Please give them a try! And go ahead and message me if you get scared and need assurance. I can do that.
1 8 oz package soy curls
6 cups veggie broth (we use the Better Than Bouillon veggie stock)
¼ cup gluten free breadcrumbs
1 package of McCormick’s mild taco seasoning (or taco seasoning of choice)
3 TBS Nutritional Yeast
½ tsp poultry seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In large pot bring the 6 cups of veggie broth to a boil
3. Add soy curls to boiling veggie broth, turn off heat, cover, and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
5. Drain and squeeze out some of the absorbing liquid in curls
6. Add curls to dry ingredients and mix until all curls are coated.
7. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper
8. Place curls in a single layer on baking sheet.
9. Bake for 15 minutes, turn the curls over and mix up and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until desired crispness is reached. (We like ours softer and do 10 minutes after turning.)